From our December Speaker Caroline Abbott!
Who is a Daughter of the King?
- Those who have been saved by Grace, by redemption through the blood of Christ. This means we have asked for and received forgiveness of our trespasses. To be a Daughter of the King, one must have submitted to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and become a new creation, leaving the old sinful life behind and walking in obedience to Christ. Galatians 2:20 – “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” Pastor preached an excellent sermon on this a couple of weeks ago, and I won’t spend a lot of time here because I am assuming we have all done this.
- One who is known to others as one who belongs to the King. She dresses herself in clothing that identifies herself: Humility, Righteousness and the Fruit of the Spirit, the armor of God.
- She walks differently than those who do not belong to the King, she walks in the Spirit.
- She talks differently than those who do not belong to the King.
How does a Daughter of the King Dress?
Put on the Full armor of God. Why? So you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. Remember our battle is NOT against flesh and blood. We are NOT “dressing to impress”. We are dressing to be prepared to not be overcome by our enemy.
- Gird your loins with truth. Who is truth? Jesus said, “I am the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE.” He is also the WORD. Girding up your loins refers to pulling up the outer garment and tucking it into the belt so one can move freely to run or to work. So, you are preparing for work by preparing yourself with the TRUTH, which is the word of God. You need to be a workman fully equipped with the Word.
- Along with the girding of the loins we are to put on the Breastplate of Righteousness. This is stated in one sentence because they go together. There is no righteousness apart from the Truth, which is the Word. You cannot put on your own righteousness, it will not protect you from the enemy, it will only make you more vulnerable to him, because you don’t really have any righteousness of your own. The breastplate covers the vital organs from attack from the enemy. Without being completely covered with the truth of the word, and the righteousness of Christ, you are a sitting duck to be overcome by the enemy at any moment.
- Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Again, the “gospel of peace” is the word of God, or the truth. Walking implies obedience, which means we are to walk in obedience to the gospel, the truth, the word. Jesus said, “If you love me, you will obey me.”
- Next is the shield of faith, which we can use to fend off the enemy’s attacks. Faith comes by hearing and hearing from what? The Word of Christ. So first we must have faith, then we must exercise it to believe that what the gospel says is true. So we live in faith believing God’s word is true, just as it is written, not needing interpretation by anyone but the Holy Spirit for us to understand it.
- The helmet of salvation. This is like your crown. This identifies you to the world as the King’s daughter. Because you have received this gift by God’s grace, you walk and talk differently and the world takes notice.
- The sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God. Around my farm I always carry a pocket knife. If I have lost it, or left it somewhere I find myself handicapped, unable to do simple ordinary tasks that are so easy with it. You need to have your sword on you always. You need to be ready in season and out of season. You never know when or where the enemy may attack. Because you are a daughter of the King you are always in the enemy’s sites, not just when you are engaging in “religious” discussions. You need to be so familiar with God’s word that you always are prepared with an answer. A humble, peaceful, truthful, Godly answer that comes straight from God’s word. Do you need to always have a Bible with you? Well, you can’t always, so you need to have it hidden in your heart. By making a practice of reading the Bible every day, reading the whole Bible a minimum of once a year, better if two or three times a year, you will automatically hide it in your heart without trying. You can read through the Bible in one year reading for 20 minutes a day. If you are a fast reader you can do it even faster.
How does a Daughter of the King Walk?
As an adult. Galatians 4:1 tells us that when an heir is a child he does not differ at all from a slave although he is owner of everything. When we were in the bondage of sin we were slaves to the world, but now that we have received redemption as sons (and daughters) we are now the heirs and must no longer act in worldly ways and cling to worldly things. The world we live in today is so full of deception and compromise that we absolutely cannot distinguish what is worldly from what is of God unless we are constantly washing our minds with the water of God’s word. We cannot tell what is good on our own. We will return to our “former manner of life” almost instantly if we do not keep constantly in God’s Word. We are to take on our adult role, given to us by God, each of us is equipped for something different for the purpose of the building up of the body of Christ until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ. Ephesians 4:14-16.
By the Spirit. Galatians 5 tells us that it was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Verse 17 tells us that if we walk by the Spirit you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another so that you may not the things that you please. This leads directly into a list of the acts of the sinful nature:
Immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing and things like these. Maybe you don’t think you have a problem with some of these things, but if you have a problem with any of them, you are basically guilty of the whole list. These are all things that exhibit that we are worshipping ourselves, being selfish, living in the flesh. Maybe you are not immoral or an alcoholic, but maybe you struggle with anger or jealousy. Jesus taught us that if we commit these things in our hearts we are guilty. I am sure all of us are. We need to again, surrender our hearts and minds to God through washing our minds and hearts with His Word daily, hiding it in our hearts and teaching it to our children. Then, we will automatically display what we ought to be displaying which is: love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Notice the fruit is a singular. You can fake some of this some of the time, but you can’t fake all of it all of the time. You must have the Holy Spirit living in you to be able to truly act like that. That is why it is the fruit of the Spirit, the evidence that He is alive within you and causing you to grow and produce fruit that can nurture those around you.
In Love. Eph. 4: 31 – Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Galatians 5:13-15 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself”. But if you bite and devour one another take care that you are not consumed by one anothe
How does a Daughter of the King Talk?
Speak the Truth. Ephesians 4:25 – “Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, for we are members of one another.
Speak wholesome things. Ephesians 4:29 – “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Also, Eph. 5: 3-4 – “ But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints, and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
Remember that talking includes all forms of communication. Resist the urge to respond quickly without taking time to think when you are responding, no matter what form of communication you are using. We tend to impulsively say things we later regret if we don’t stop and think before we respond. Sometimes we need to take a long time to respond so we don’t respond in anger. Eph. 4:26 - “Be angry and yet do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity.” This is part of self-control. We need to let ourselves take time to humble ourselves and allow the Holy Spirit take control of us before we say something that may hurt someone else or cause them to stumble because it makes them angry and they respond back in a way they shouldn’t. James tells us to “speak little, listen much and not become angry.” This is only possible when we submit ourselves to the Holy Spirit.